To be eligible to win, applicants must:
- Be of 2L (JD), 3L (JD), or LLM status at Villanova University Charles Widger School
- Submit a paper AND a 1-2 page memo describing the research process
- Provide only one submission per applicant.
- May include papers written for a seminar course or directed research (journal notes and work product generated through externships or employment will not be accepted)
- Must be a minimum of 10 pages in length
- Must be written in proper Bluebook format
- Must be properly footnoted
- In addition to the research paper, must include a 1-2 page memo (double-spaced) summarizing the research process involved, the lessons learned from that research process, the original purpose for which the paper was written, and the professor for whom the paper was written, if applicable.
- Entries must include: author’s name, law school year, degree anticipated, and contact information. Also, include the name of the course or other purpose for which the paper was written and the professor for whom the paper was written, if applicable.
Student Research will be evaluated by a panel of law librarians using the following criteria:
- Sophistication, originality, or unusual depth or breadth in the use of research materials, including, but not limited to, print resources, electronic search engines and databases, primary and secondary legal resources, interdisciplinary resources, and empirical resources as described in the research description memo
- Exceptional innovation in research strategy, including the ability to locate, select, and evaluate research materials with discretion as described in the research description memo
- Skillful synthesis of research results into a comprehensive scholarly analysis as demonstrated in the paper
Application Procedure and Deadline:
- Deadline: Monday, May 8, 2023 at 12:00 PM (Noon)
- Applications should be submitted in Word format via email to Jason Happ: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Applicants will receive email confirmation of their submission after receipt of all required materials
- The winner will be notified on May 17
About the Prize:
- The winner will receive a monetary prize of $150
- The winner's name and award year will be added to the Maura Buri Memorial Excellence in Student Research Prize plaque which is featured in the Library Display case
- The winner's paper will also be featured in the Library Display case. Submit by May 8, 2023.