Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Online Version of the Bluebook & General Bluebook Guides
Copy with Reference and Other Citation Tools
- Bloomberg Law Copy with Citation
- Highlight text in a Bloomberg Law document and the Copy with Citation link will appear
- Copies text and generates citation which is hyperlinked to Bloomberg (or disable this feature by unchecking the box)
- Only one citation format is available
- Additional information about this tool
- HeinOnline Cite
- Click on Cite link that appears above the Table of Contents (in the left column) of any HeinOnline document to display citation information for the page
- Choose from Cite this Document or Pincite this Document options
- Citations displayed in Bluebook 21st Edition format but provides links to ALWD as well as international citation formats such as Oxford University Standard for the Citation of Legal Authorities (OSCOLA), Canadian Guide to Uniform Legal Citation (McGill Guide) and the Australian Guide to Legal Citation (AGLC)
- Lexis+ Copy Citation
- Click on Copy Citation link available for the following types of documents on Lexis+: Cases, Statutes and Legislation, Administrative Codes and Regulations, Administrative Materials, Secondary Materials, Jury Instructions, Scientific, Company and Financial
- Select desired citation format. Defaults to Standard (Bluebook) format but ALWD and state style manual citation formats are also available.
- Additional information about this tool
- Westlaw Copy with Reference
Free Citation Generators
This bluebook citation generator prompts users to enter information into fields customized by document type, producing a final citation which can be copied and pasted into other documents or saved in the system for later use. Very impressive list of state and federal legislative and regulatory document types. Easier to use than reviewing Bluebook Tables and Rules to determine how to cite to these lesser used legal materials.
Upload a Document Citation Checkers
Bloomberg Brief Analyzer This link opens in a new window
Upload a brief or other file in Word or PDF format to generate a list of cited authorities along with a list of suggested, related authorities. Use it to analyze an opponent's brief, review a similar case or use with your own brief to find related content that may have been missed initially.
Lexis Brief Analysis This link opens in a new window
Upload a Word or PDF format document to Brief Analysis which will analyze citations and suggest related case content and similar briefs from the Lexis+ platform as well as provide the full Shepard's citator report for resources cited in the uploaded document.
Westlaw Quick Check This link opens in a new window
Upload a document and this Westlaw tool will review the citations and arguments to find related authority. The Quick Check Judicial allows for uploading of multiple documents in a single case (such as briefs from both sides) and offers a comparison of the two as well as recommending related content that was missed by one or more documents.
Westlaw Drafting Assistant This link opens in a new window
Upload a Word document to this Westlaw tool to access a number of drafting tools for litigation and transactional documents including citation formatting according to jurisdictional rules and style manuals (also automates Table of Authorities creation), authority checkers and Keycite analysis. Does require a download for full access.
Browser Add-ons for Westlaw & Lexis
Add-on for Chrome and Firefox browsers that provides an overlay toolbar on Westlaw or Lexis with additional citation and research options. Does not seem to work on Lexis+ but does work on Westlaw although full functionality requires upgrading to the Pro version. As of June 2021, Pro Bluebook citations are only available for federal cases.